Fellowship of Dental Sleep Medicine survey
14 April 2021
For several years, the ASA has been working on a certification program to allow those dentists with extra expertise in dental sleep medicine to be clearly identified.
The program is designed to be completed through self-directed learning at one's own pace.
To obtain certification candidates will need to have successfully completed minimum competency requirements in dental sleep medicine. These requirements will be:
- Passing grade obtained in a 3-hour multiple choice question examination on dental sleep medicine (after review of core curriculum papers, references or webinars)
- Review of a logbook of at least 15 dental sleep medicine cases undertaken by the candidate
- In-depth case study reports of 3 comprehensive dental sleep medicine cases undertaken by the candidate
- Supervised attendance and observation in a sleep laboratory for 10 hours in total
- References from two practising sleep physicians who can attest that the dentist is competent in dental sleep medicine.
Successful completion will entitle candidates to use the Fellow of Dental Sleep Medicine post-nominal (FDSM), to be listed as a Fellow on the ASA website, and to have access to resources to support their dental sleep medicine practice. The Fellows listing on the ASA website will be heavily promoted to sleep physicians to support new dental sleep medicine referrals.
In order to plan the final details of the program, we’re asking members of the ASA’s Dental Sleep Medicine Council who are also registered dentists to complete a short anonymous survey. We will also be asking dentists more widely to complete the survey, so feel free to forward this email to your dentist colleagues, or to share the survey link on your social media channels.
This anonymous short survey will only take you about 5 minutes to complete.
Complete the survey